Dietary supplementation effects of the levels of Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf extracts as phytogenic feed additive on the growth performance in broiler chicks
Keywords:Azadirachta indica; broiler; growth performance; neem leaf extracts
The effects that Neem leaf extract on overall growth, feed conversion ratio (FCR), dressed weight and organs weight of broiler chickens to justify its inclusion in the diet of growing broiler chickens. 120 day old chicks divided into four treatment groups T1, T2, T3 and T4 of thirty (30) birds each were administered clean drinking water with 3gm, 4gm, 5gm and 0g neem extract respectively. Impacts of neem extract treatments on growth indices suggested that Neem extract favored growth with final body weight range of 1709gm and 1763gm. Organ weights showed no deviation from standard values for healthy broiler birds. Highest growth was observed in group T3 (1763.6±141.37gm) followed by T1, T2 and lowest was in T4 group (1565.4±161.25gm). Birds on 5gm of Neem extract in their drinking water out performed birds in other treatments in assessed growth rate indices. We therefore conclude that 5gm of Neem extract in their drinking water growing broiler birds encourages healthy growth and may serve as supplements for antibiotics, especially when birds are raised in areas with minimal access to veterinary service.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. March 2021, 7(1): 64-68
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.