Socio-economic status of fisher community at Nijhum Dwip
Nijhum dwip is a well-known island in which local people are mostly dependent on fisheries resources. The island is located in Hatiya Upazila under Noakhali district, Bangladesh. The present study attempted to investigate the socio-economic condition of fishers on this island. We randomly selected 50 fishers for an interview in the field survey. From the investigation, we found that 94% of fishers were male, and 6% were female. A large portion was Muslim (90%), and the rest was Hindu (10%). About 91% were found married. Nuclear families were more (59%) common compared to joint families. Among school-going children, 57% of boys and 43% of girls were dropouts. Eighty-eight per cent of dwellings were full katcha while semi-pacca were 12% and all the family are lack of electricity facilities. Different types of the net including the set bag net, tong jal, current jal, tanajal etc. were found on this island. They used motorboats, and engine power ranges from 8 to 22 hp for fishing. A group of fishermen caught fish averagely 35-80 kg per day. A portion of them being consumed for households and the rest of them are usually sold. The monthly average income was around BDT7000-8000. Fifty-six per cent of the fishermen borrowed money from money lenders and 44% from the NGOs. Our findings suggest that GOs and NGOs should come forward for the betterment of socio-economic condition through increasing educational opportunities, loan facilities and electricity facilities and sustainable livelihood in the present study area.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. June 2020, 6(2): 351-358
Copyright (c) 2020 Hassan Shafkat Siam, Md Robiul Hasan and Tasnim Sultana
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.