Prevalence of obesity and dietary habits of university students: a cross-sectional study
The objectives of this study was to assess the prevalence of overweight and obesity in a sample of students from the Patuakhali Science and Technology University, Bangladesh and examine their usual eating habits. A cross-sectional survey of 260 students (65.38% male and 34.62% female) aged 20.81 ± 1.63 were chosen randomly from the Patuakhali Science and Technology University campus during May to July 2019. Students were asked to fill out a self-reported questionnaire that included questions on their eating, drinking and smoking habits. Also, their weight, height and body mass index were measured. Body mass index (BMI) was used to assess students' weight status. Statistical analyses were performed using the SPSS software (version 23.0). Results shows that, majority of the students (67.3%) were of normal weight. Based on BMI classification, the prevalence of overweight was more common among the male students compared to females (23.5% vs. 10%). In contrast, prevalence of obesity was more common among female students (3.3% vs. 2.9%). A significant difference in BMI was observed between male and female students (p <0.01). The majority of the students (70.4%) reported that they took meals regularly. In terms of breakfast intake, less than half of the students (44.6%) reported that they took their breakfast daily. There was a significant gender difference in the frequency of snacks intake apart from regular meal (p <0.05). Female students were more prone to snacks consumption compared with male students. The unhealthy eating habits of the students was indicated by the fact that near about half of the students (46%) reported eating fried food daily or three to four times per week. Soft drinks consumption among the students were significantly associated with gender (p <0.05). The present results suggest the necessity of nutrition and health promotion programs for university students, especially programs emphasizing weight management.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. June 2019, 5(3): 180-185
Copyright (c) 2019 Md. Sabbir Ahmed, Kanij Fatima Anee, Mohammad Tazrian Abid, Md. Oashkuruni Hridoy, Al-Riaj Hasan, Moriom Tuz Marufa, Tamanna Hassan, Sunjida Munmun
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
- warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.