Moringa oleifera (Shajna): the wonderful indigenous medicinal plant
The Tree of Life' or 'Miracle Tree' is the name of the plant of Moringa oleifera (Shajna). Moringa oleifera is one of the important plants in plant kingdom. Its leaves and fruits are used as vegetable in Indian sub continent, at the same time each part of the plant rich with some important medicinal values. It is now considered as a valuable source of several unique products for the medicines against various diseases. The present review is to focus on the nutritive values, physico-chemical properties, phyto-chemicals and pharmacological activities of M. oleifera. Various parts of the plant like seeds, leaves, flowers, bark and fruits have been investigated for their significant pharmacological activity. Phyto-chemicals like flavanoid, anthraquinone, alkaloids, essential oils, tannic acid, carotene, glucose have been reported for significant antioxidant, hepatoprotective, anticancer, aphrodisiac, antiinflammatory, antihyperlipidaemic, antihyperglycaemic and antiulcer activities of Drumstick tree and emphasizes the need for further exploring available information.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. March 2017, 3(1): 20-30
Copyright (c) 2017 Fahmid Kh
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.