Frequency and Sensitivity of Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase Positive Organisms in a Secondary and Tertiary Level Hospital Network in Dhaka

Authors

  • Shah Md Zahurul Haque Asna Professor, Department of Microbiology, Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS), Dhaka
  • Shameem Akhter Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS), Dhaka
  • M Mushfequr Rahman Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology, Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS), Dhaka
  • Najib Mohammad Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Bangladesh Institute of Health Sciences (BIHS) General Hospital, Dhaka
  • MA Hafez Professor, Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS), Dhaka

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/jemc.v5i2.23377

Keywords:

ESBL, Drug resistance, Cephalosporins

Abstract

Background: Extended spectrum ?-lactamase (ESBL) positive organisms are now a global health concern including in Bangladesh. These are associated with treatment failure, increased morbidity and mortality and increased health care costs. In this study, frequency of ESBL positive organisms in some health care centres in Dhaka city has been observed and their current status of antibiogram has also been observed.

Objective: To observe the current status of antibiogram of ESBL positive organisms.

Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was done in the Department of Microbiology, Bangladesh Institute of Health Sciences (BIHS) General Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh from March, 2012 to February, 2013. Only E. coli and Klebsiella spp. from pus and urine specimens were included in this study. Isolation, identification and antibiotic sensitivity of the organisms were done by standard procedures.

Results: Organisms (Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp.) isolated from urine and pus collected from different sites of 472 subjects were studied. Predominant organisms were Escherichia coli (82.8%) and remaining 17.2% were Klebsiella spp. ESBL positive organisms were higher in Escherichia coli (54.5%) than in Klebsiella spp. (44.4%) and higher in pus (77.0%) than in urine (49.1%) isolates. Imipenem is the most effective drug for treating ESBL positive organisms followed by colistin, tigecycline and piperacillin/tazobactam.

Conclusion: Imipenem, colistin, tigecycline and piperacillin/tazobactam drugs should be kept reserved and used only when other effective drugs are not available so that emergence of resistance against these drugs is deferred. While reporting the culture and sensitivity tests, the ESBL positive organisms should be pointed out with comment like this The organisms are ESBL positive and resistant to penicillins, cephalosporins and monobactams.

J Enam Med Col 2015; 5(2): 80-87

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
831
PDF
675

Author Biography

Shah Md Zahurul Haque Asna, Professor, Department of Microbiology, Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS), Dhaka



Downloads

Published

2015-06-29

How to Cite

Asna, S. M. Z. H., Akhter, S., Rahman, M. M., Mohammad, N., & Hafez, M. (2015). Frequency and Sensitivity of Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase Positive Organisms in a Secondary and Tertiary Level Hospital Network in Dhaka. Journal of Enam Medical College, 5(2), 80–87. https://doi.org/10.3329/jemc.v5i2.23377

Issue

Section

Original Articles