Response of CHOP therapy in the treatment of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma - one year study in CMH, Dhaka

  • Md Mostafil Karim Clinical Fellow (BMT) Singapore, Asst Prof, Dept of Transfusion Medicine, AFMC, Dhaka Cantonment, Dhaka
  • Shahina Akhter Junior Consultant, Dhaka Dental College, Dhaka
  • Mushtaq Ahmad Associate Professor & Head of the Dept of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, AFMC, Dhaka Cantonment, Dhaka
Keywords: CHOP-Cyclophosphamide, Lymphoma, Hydroxydaunorubicin, Oncovin and Prednisolone, Response, CHOP regime, Safety

Abstract

Introduction: The lymphomas are a group of malignant disease that originate from uninhibited growth of cellular elements normally found in lymphatic tissue. All forms of lymphoma have the potential to spread from their origin in a single node or chain of nodes to other nodes and eventually to disseminate to spleen, liver and bone marrow.

Objective: To assess the response rate and to evaluate the toxicity and safety of CHOP regimen. Methods: In this study 50 cases were selected of all age irrespectively and both sexes diagnosed at Combined Military Hospital, Dhaka. A prescribed proforma was used for each patient. It included particulars of the patient, history, physical findings, laboratory investigations (biopsy, cytology, and bone marrow study), ultrasonography and CT-scan in appropriate cases.

Results: In this study, starting from July 2009 to June 2010, 50 patients were included. Out of them, 30 patients (60.00%) achieved complete remission, 12 patients (24.00%) had partial remission. Overall responses were 84 percent and 8 patients (16.00%) were non-responder. Two patients (4%) of non-responder died during chemotherapy.

Conclusion: In this study a significant number of patients achieved complete and partial remission. The response was rapid and most of the patients achieved complete or partial remission after receiving only 2-3 cycles of therapy. Considering the toxicities, the patients were well-tolerated to CHOP regimen.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/jafmc.v10i1.22932

Journal of Armed Forces Medical College Bangladesh Vol.10(1) 2014

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
788

Author Biography

Md Mostafil Karim, Clinical Fellow (BMT) Singapore, Asst Prof, Dept of Transfusion Medicine, AFMC, Dhaka Cantonment, Dhaka

Published
2015-04-08
How to Cite
Karim, M. M., Akhter, S., & Ahmad, M. (2015). Response of CHOP therapy in the treatment of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma - one year study in CMH, Dhaka. Journal of Armed Forces Medical College, Bangladesh, 10(1), 93-98. https://doi.org/10.3329/jafmc.v10i1.22932
Section
Original Papers