Role of laparoscopy in the management of impalpable testis in children: a study in Bangladesh
Keywords:Impalpable testis, Cryptorchidism, Undescended testis.
Introduction: Treatment of the cryptorchid testicle is justified due to the increased risk of infertility and malignancy as well as the risk of testicular trauma and psychological stigma on patients and their parents. Approximately 20% of cryptorchid testicles are impalpable. In these cases, the laparoscopic technique is the method of choice for diagnosis and treatment.
Materials and Methods: From 1 April 2009 to 31 October 2010, 37 testicles of 30 patients were submitted to diagnostic laparoscopy for impalpable testes. This was a prospective study seeking the diagnostic accuracy and therapeutic outcomes of use of laparoscopy in impalpable testes. Age, operative techniques, complications, the cosmetic aspect and outcomes were also recorded.
Results: Mean age was 6.64 ± 3.96 years and 23% cases were bilateral. Twenty-one cases had primary orchiopexy, 9 had 1st stage Fowler- Stephens (FS) procedure, 3 had 2nd stage FS, 13 cases needed inguinal exploration and there was one vanishing testicles. Average operating time was 40 min for diagnostic laparoscopy, 90 min for unilateral and 120 min for the bilateral cases. Two of the patients had late postoperative complications e.g. one uretereral obstruction and one recurrence.
Conclusions: In pediatric age group, the laparoscopic approach is safe and feasible. The purpose of study is to see whether the laparoscopic procedure presents excellent results in terms of diagnosis and therapy of the impalpable testis.
Bangladesh Journal of Endosurgery Vol.1(1) January 2013: 16-20
How to Cite
Authors of articles published in BJE retain the copyright of their articles and are free to reproduce and disseminate their work. A Copyright and License Agreement signed and dated by the corresponding author on behalf of all authors must be submitted with each manuscript submission.
Copyright Agreement Form
Bangladesh Journal of Endosurgery (BJE) copyright and license agreement:
Title of the Article:
In submitting a research article ('article') to Bangladesh Journal of Endosurgery (BJE) I certify that:
1. I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2. I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to BJE are not in breach of any other obligation. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify BJE at the time of submission upon which clauses 3 through 6 inclusive do not apply;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
And I agree to the following license agreement:
BJE Open Access license agreement
Brief summary of the agreement
Anyone is free:
- to copy, distribute, and display the work;
- to make derivative works;
- to make commercial use of the work;
Under the following conditions: Attribution
- the original author must be given credit;
- for any reuse or distribution, it must be made clear to others what the license terms of this work are;
- any of these conditions can be waived if the authors gives permission.
Statutory fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
Full BJE Open Access license agreement
(Identical to the 'Creative Commons Attribution License')
Authors Full Name: