Growth Performance of Lentil by the Effect of Irrigation and Boron Splitting Asfoliar Application
A field experiment was conducted for evaluating the effect of irrigation and boron splitting as foliar spray on growth and yield of lentil at the Research Field of the Department of Agronomy, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka from November, 2018 to March, 2019.Three levels of irrigation viz., I0: control, I1: one irrigation at 25 days after sowing (DAS), I2: two irrigations at 25 DAS and 40 DAS and boron was applied by four levels viz., B0: control, B1: 80% recommended dose as basal + rest 20% as foliar spray (FS) at pre-flowering (PF), B2: 60% RD as basal + rest 40% as FS at PF, B3: 40% RD as basal + rest 60% as FS at PF. The experiment was fully set up in a split-plot design with three replications. Two irrigations at 25 and 40 DAS result produced that the highest plant length, branches plant-1, leaves plant-1, dry weight plant-1. On the other hand, B3 (40% RD as basal + rest 60% as FS at PF) produced significantly the highest growth of lentil. Result also showed that the highest plant length (27.59 cm), number of branches (5.73) and plant dry matter (4.83 g) recorded from I2B3 combinations. Therefore, the combination of two irrigations at 25 and 40 DAS and boron at 40% RD as basal + rest 60% as foliar spray at pre-flowering might be considered as effective dose for the cultivation of lentil in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh Agron. J. 2019, 22(2): 139-150
Copyright (c) 2020 S Paul, TS Roy, R Chakraborty, M Roy, SC Sarker
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).