Study of the Structural and Magnetic Properties of COFE2O4 Nanoparticles for Therapeutic Agent for Cancer Therapy
Keywords:CoFe2O4 nanoparticles, Co-precipitation technique, Chitosan (CS), XRD, EDX, TEM, VSM, Mössbauer, DLS, and Hyperthermia.
The cobalt ferrite (CoFe2O4) nanoparticles were synthesized by chemical co-precipitation technique and characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD), energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), vibrating sample magnetometer (VSM), and Mössbauer spectroscopy. The CoFe2O4 nanoparticles coated with biocompatible chitosan at different concentrations to produce homogeneous suspensions were also characterized by dynamic light scattering (DLS) and hyperthermia set-up. XRD data of the sample explored the particle size near about 7 nm in as-dried condition. TEM micrograph of bare CoFe2O4 nanoparticles provided the particle size nearly too about 8 nm which is in good agreement with the XRD data. This particle size after coating with chitosan became 14 nm. EDX results of this sample confirmed its nano dimension with spinel structure. VSM results of the sample in as-dried condition showed the ferromagnetic character which has been beyond proved by Mössbauer spectroscopy. The hydrodynamic diameter (Hd) and polydispersity index (PDI) of the chitosan-coated samples also provided promising results. The samples were tested for their induction heating properties with an RF magnetic field of 20 mT and a frequency of 342 kHz. We also studied therapeutic efficiency in-vitro on 9L gliosarcoma cancer cells, which revealed > 98% of mortality through hyperthermia protocol with the same RF field and frequency using chitosan-coated CoFe2O4nanoparticles.
GUB JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING, Vol 7, Dec 2020 P 69-75
How to Cite
Authors who publish in the GUB Journal of Science and Engineering agree to the following terms that:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the GUB Journal of Science and Engineering the right of first publication of the work.
Articles in GUB Journal of Science and Engineering are licensed under a Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND License Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. This license permits Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Copyright and Reprint Permissions
- Individual contributions contained in it are protected by the copyright of Green University of Bangladesh.
- Photocopies of this journal in full or parts for personal or classroom usage may be allowed provided that copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage and the copies bear this notice and the full citation.
- Copyright for components of this work owned by others must be honored. Abstracting with credit is permitted.
- Specific permission of the publisher and payment of a fee are required for multiple or systemic copying, advertising or promotional purposes, resale, republishing, posting on servers, redistributing to lists and all forms of document delivery.
- Subscribers may reproduce a table of contents or prepare lists of articles including abstracts for internal circulation within their institutions.
- Permission of the Publisher is required for resale and distribution outside the institution. Permission of the publisher is required for all other derivative works, including compilations and translations.
- Except as outlined above, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, such as electronic, mechanical, photocopying, magnetic recording or otherwise, without prior written permission of the publisher.
- Permissions may be sought directly from the office of the executive editor of GUB Journal of Science and Engineering through E-mail at email@example.com.
- Responsibility for the contents of an article rests upon the author(s) and not upon the editor or the publisher. Therefore, on responsibility is assumed by the publisher for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or otherwise, or from any use or operation of any methods, product instructions or ideas contained in the material herein.