Statistical Model Based Breast Tumor Classification in Contourlet Transform Domain
Keywords:Breast Cancer, Contourlet transform, Nakagami distribution, NIG distribution.
Determination of breast tumors from B-Mode Ultrasound (US) image is a perplexing one. Researches employing statistical modeling such as Nakagami, Normal Inverse Gaussian (NIG) distributed parametric images in this classification task have already explored but experimentation of those statistical models on contourlet transformed coefficient image in breast tumor classification task has not reported yet. The proposed method is established by considering 250 clinical cases from a publicly available database. In this database each clinical case exists as *.bmp format. In the preprocessing step firstly, the ultrasound B-Mode image is binarized to detect the lesion contour. Then contourlet transformation is employed. These contourlet sub band coefficients are shown to be modeled effectively by Nakagami and NIG distributions. These Nakagami and NIG parametric images are obtained by estimating the parameters of those prior statistical distributions locally. Few shape and statistical features are chosen according to their effectiveness on those parametric images. The benign and malignant breast tumors are classified utilizing these features with different classifiers such as the support vector machine, k-nearest neighbors, fitted binary classification decision tree, binary Gaussian kernel classification model, linear classification models for binary learning with high-dimensional etc. It is observed that classification performance of NIG statistical model based parametric version of contourlet coefficient images gained better accuracy than those of Nakagami statistical model.
GUB JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING, Vol 7, Dec 2020 P 21-26
How to Cite
Authors who publish in the GUB Journal of Science and Engineering agree to the following terms that:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the GUB Journal of Science and Engineering the right of first publication of the work.
Articles in GUB Journal of Science and Engineering are licensed under a Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND License Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. This license permits Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format.
Copyright and Reprint Permissions
- Individual contributions contained in it are protected by the copyright of Green University of Bangladesh.
- Photocopies of this journal in full or parts for personal or classroom usage may be allowed provided that copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage and the copies bear this notice and the full citation.
- Copyright for components of this work owned by others must be honored. Abstracting with credit is permitted.
- Specific permission of the publisher and payment of a fee are required for multiple or systemic copying, advertising or promotional purposes, resale, republishing, posting on servers, redistributing to lists and all forms of document delivery.
- Subscribers may reproduce a table of contents or prepare lists of articles including abstracts for internal circulation within their institutions.
- Permission of the Publisher is required for resale and distribution outside the institution. Permission of the publisher is required for all other derivative works, including compilations and translations.
- Except as outlined above, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, such as electronic, mechanical, photocopying, magnetic recording or otherwise, without prior written permission of the publisher.
- Permissions may be sought directly from the office of the executive editor of GUB Journal of Science and Engineering through E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Responsibility for the contents of an article rests upon the author(s) and not upon the editor or the publisher. Therefore, on responsibility is assumed by the publisher for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or otherwise, or from any use or operation of any methods, product instructions or ideas contained in the material herein.