Role of Sampling Neck Dissection in Early Oral Tongue Carcinoma
Background: Carcinoma of oral tongue has a great potential for metastatic spread to neck nodes, which may not be clinically detected in early stage. To detect frequency of occult neck metastasis in clinically No patients with early oral tongue carcinoma (stage I & II) the study has done.
Methods: It was a 2 years cross sectional study among fifty patients in three tertiary care hospitals of Dhaka from 2016 to 2018.
Results: Majority of the patients were male (M:F=3:2) with age ranged 25 to 80 years. Among these patients 38(76%) were in T1 and remaining 12(24%) in T2 stage. Tongue ulceration was most common(84%) presenting feature followed by dysphagia(64%) and pain(52%).Only 32(64%) patients revealed no histopathological proved metastasis(true N0). Occult nodal metastasis was significantly common(83.33%) among male patients than females(p<0.01) and also common(72.22%) among < 50 years age group(p<0.01).Sampling node positive was significantly more(66.67%) in T2 stage(p<0.01).
Conclusion: Regarding clinical, radiological and histopathological stages and stage migration of early carcinoma in oral tongue this study revealed significant differentiation among these methods. This study implies sampling neck dissection of sentinel neck nodes in early oral tongue carcinoma for management.
Bangladesh J Otorhinolaryngol; October 2020; 26(2): 147-152
Manuscripts submitted for publication in the Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology must not have been previously submitted or published. Accepted papers become the permanent property of the Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology. By submitting a manuscript, the authors(s) agree that copyrights for their articles are automatically transferred to Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, if and when the articles are accepted for publication.
The use, in this journal, of registered trade names, trade marks, etc. without special acknowledgement does not imply that such names, as defined by the relevant protection laws, be regarded as unprotected, and, thus, free for general use.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).