The irrational offering of benzodiazepines by medicine shops in Bangladesh: Recommends implementation of retail pharmacy as soon as possible

Authors

  • Md Jakaria Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Atiqur Rahman Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Mohammad Rasib Uddin Rahat Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Mukimul Islam Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Chayan Dhar Clinton Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Mohammad Belal Talukder Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Md Shariful Islam Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Mohammed Abu Sayeed Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Engineering, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC), Chittagong 4314
  • Mohammad Abdur Rashid Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v17i1.35303

Keywords:

Benzodiazepines, medicine shops, prescription and irrationality

Abstract

As controlled drugs, benzodiazepines are one of the most familiar prescription drugs. This present study was designed to determine the proportion of medicine shops that irrationally offered benzodiazepines without prescription in the Chittagong division of Bangladesh. A crosssectional study on the sample of 563 medicine shops was conducted from July 2015 to August 2015. A simulated client methodology was used to complete this survey. Among the total 539 medicine shops, 237(43.97%) medicine shops were offered benzodiazepines. On the other hand, 302(56.02%) medicine shops were denied to sell benzodiazepines. The offering of controlled drugs without the prescription was terrifyingly high by medicine shops in the Chittagong division. Thus, the responsible authority should be taken steps to overcome this irrationality.

Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science Vol.17(1) 2018 p.175-177

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
2382
PDF
1265

Downloads

Published

2018-01-11

How to Cite

Jakaria, M., Rahman, A., Rahat, M. R. U., Islam, M., Clinton, C. D., Talukder, M. B., Islam, M. S., Sayeed, M. A., & Rashid, M. A. (2018). The irrational offering of benzodiazepines by medicine shops in Bangladesh: Recommends implementation of retail pharmacy as soon as possible. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 17(1), 175–177. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjms.v17i1.35303

Issue

Section

Brief Communications