Laparoscopic vs Open Appendectomy : A Comparative Study
Backgraound: Open appendectomy (OA) has been the treatment of choice for acute appendicitis since its introduction by Mc-burney in 1884. Laparoscopic appendectomy(LA) though widely practiced, has not gained universal approval. LA was first described in 1983. Some early studies showed equivocal results about benefit of LA. Recent studies showed overall benefit in favour of LA. So far no such a large study was done in any Bangladeshi hospital. So, we decided to do this study with a view to evaluate the therapeutic benefit of LA by comparing with conventional OA.
Materials and methods: We collected data of 763 appendectomies done in Jahurul Islam medical college hospital from July 2007 to June 2012 for a period of 5 years. Out of them 448 had conventional OA and 315 had LA. We compared the mean operation time, time of first oral feeding, narcotic analgesic requirement, duration of post operative hospital stay.
Results: We found that mean operation time was 33±5.8 minute and 37± 7.5 minute in LA and OA respectively. Duration of post operative hospital stay was 1.2 days shorter in Laparoscopic group. LA required 1.1 shots of less analgesic than OA. Oral feeding was resumed 21 hours earlier following LA compared to OA. Laparoscpic appendectomy was safely performed in paediatric patient without any adverse effect. We also found that, in female patient, concurrent ovarian cysts, tubal pregnancy and endometriosis can be diagnosed and managed laparoscopically in the same sitting.
Conclusion: Our study found that laparoscopic appendectomy is an effective and safe procedure irrespective of age and sex of the patient. LA has added advantage of early return of bowel movement, less post-op hospital stay and less requirement of narcotic analgesic.
Authors of articles published in BJE retain the copyright of their articles and are free to reproduce and disseminate their work. A Copyright and License Agreement signed and dated by the corresponding author on behalf of all authors must be submitted with each manuscript submission.
Copyright Agreement Form
Bangladesh Journal of Endosurgery (BJE) copyright and license agreement:
Title of the Article:
In submitting a research article ('article') to Bangladesh Journal of Endosurgery (BJE) I certify that:
1. I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2. I warrant, on behalf of myself and my co-authors, that:
- the article is original, has not been formally published in any other peer-reviewed journal, is not under consideration by any other journal and does not infringe any existing copyright or any other third party rights;
- I am/we are the sole author(s) of the article and have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to BJE are not in breach of any other obligation. If the law requires that the article be published in the public domain, I/we will notify BJE at the time of submission upon which clauses 3 through 6 inclusive do not apply;
- the article contains nothing that is unlawful, libellous, or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of confidence or of commitment given to secrecy;
- I/we have taken due care to ensure the integrity of the article. To my/our - and currently accepted scientific - knowledge all statements contained in it purporting to be facts are true and any formula or instruction contained in the article will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury, illness or damage to the user.
And I agree to the following license agreement:
BJE Open Access license agreement
Brief summary of the agreement
Anyone is free:
- to copy, distribute, and display the work;
- to make derivative works;
- to make commercial use of the work;
Under the following conditions: Attribution
- the original author must be given credit;
- for any reuse or distribution, it must be made clear to others what the license terms of this work are;
- any of these conditions can be waived if the authors gives permission.
Statutory fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
Full BJE Open Access license agreement
(Identical to the 'Creative Commons Attribution License')
Authors Full Name: