Journal of Science Foundation 2020-04-18T17:51:33+00:00 Dr M. Asaduzzaman Open Journal Systems <p>The official journal of the Bangladesh Science Foundation. Full text articles available.</p> Therapeutic Application of Botulinum Toxin among Patients suffering from Neurological Diseases: Bangladesh Situation 2020-04-18T17:51:33+00:00 Selim Shahi <p>Abstract not available</p> <p>Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(1):1-2</p> 2020-01-05T04:08:34+00:00 ##submission.copyrightStatement## Correlation of Hemoglobin & C-Reactive Protein Levels with In-hospital Outcome of Patient with Acute Coronary Syndrome 2020-04-18T17:51:22+00:00 Md Mahboob Morshed Md Joynul Islam Fariha Haseen Khandokar Shaheed Hussain Muhammad Kamrul Amin Mohammad Ahtashamul Haque <p><strong>Background: </strong>Haemoglobina and CRP level may be related with the in-hospital outcome of acute coronary syndrome patients.</p> <p><strong>Objective: </strong>The purpose of the present study was to correlate haemoglobin and CRP level with in-hospital outcome of patient with acute coronary syndrome.</p> <p><strong>Methodology: </strong>This cross-sectional study was conducted in the Department of Cardiology at Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh, Bangladesh from December 2010 to November 2011 for a period of two (02) years. Patients of ACS who were presented within 12 hours of chest pain were included as study population. Study population were categorized in four groups according to the level of hemoglobin and C-reactive protein. Blood sample was collected for baseline laboratory investigations.</p> <p><strong>Result: </strong>The mean age of the population was 52.18±8.88 years. Arrhythmia was more common in Group 1 which was 5(71.4%) cases and 6(46.2%) cases in VT and AF respectively. Arrhythmia was significantly correlated with age, sex, diabetes mellitus &amp; CRP. Death was significantly correlated with age, diabetes mellitus, hypertension &amp; CRP. Heart failure was significantly correlated with family history of IHD, CRP &amp; Hemoglobin. Bleeding was only significantly correlated with CRP. No significant association was revealed between the types of arrhythmia and age, sex, smoking, diabetes, dyslipidaemia, family history of IHD and hypertension (P = 0.087). Only heart failure was strongly and significantly correlated with hemoglobin level (p=0.000). Bleeding (p=0.003), heart failure (p=0.022) and death (p=0.016) were significantly correlated with CRP level.</p> <p><strong>Conclusion: </strong>In conclusion there is a correlation of haemoglobin and CRP level with in-hospital outcome of patient with acute coronary syndrome.</p> <p>Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(1):3-8</p> 2020-01-05T04:08:45+00:00 ##submission.copyrightStatement## Correlation of Glasgow outcome scale (GOS) and Haematoma Volume during Surgical and Conservative Management of Spontaneous Supratentorial Intracerebral Hemorrhage Patients 2020-04-18T17:51:11+00:00 Mohammad Rafiqul Islam Mohammad Ashraful Haque Khaled Ahmedur Rahman Mohammad Mahfuzur Rahman Moazzam Hossain Talukder ABM Ruhul Amin Md Abdus Salam <p><strong>Background: </strong>Haematoma volume is an important issue for the management of spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage patients.</p> <p><strong>Objective: </strong>The purpose of the present study was to correlate the Glasgow outcome scale (GOS) and haematoma volume during surgical and conservative management of spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage patients.</p> <p><strong>Methodology: </strong>This randomized control trial which was conducted in the Department of Neurosurgery at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital from January 2010 to October 2011 for a period of one year and ten months. All hypertensive patients with spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage who were admitted within 48 hours of stroke in Neurosurgery Department during the study period were considered as a study population. Patients underwent surgery was considered as group I and patients those who did not give the consent for operation were treated conservatively was considered as group II. Surgery and conservative groups were matched in age, GCS, GOS, hematoma location and volume of hematoma.</p> <p><strong>Result: </strong>A total of 31 patients were enrolled in this study of which 14 patients underwent surgical evacuation and 17 cases were selected for conservative therapy. Significant negative correlation was found between GCS on admission with hematoma volume in surgery group (r=-0.631; P=0.016) and conservative group (r=- 0.854; p=0.001). A negative but not significant correlation (r=-0.426; P=0.129) between GOS with hematoma volume in group I, where negative significant correlation (r=-0.503; P=0.039) in conservative group II.</p> <p><strong>Conclusion: </strong>In conclusion Glasgow outcome scale (GOS) is positively correlated with the haematoma volume during surgical and conservative management of spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage patients</p> <p>Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(1):9-14</p> 2020-01-05T04:08:56+00:00 ##submission.copyrightStatement## Study of Morphometric Characteristics of Freshwater Putul, Botia lohachata in Kompo River of Bagmara, Rajshahi, Bangladesh 2020-04-18T17:50:58+00:00 Md Abdur Razzaq Joadder Rabia Binta Siraz Susen Roy Syeda Nusrat Jahan Dil Afroza Khanom Md Al-Amin Sarker <p>This study described about the morphometric characteristics of <em>Botia lohachata</em>, collected from the Kompo River at Rajshahi , were studied for a period of four months from July to October 2014. Length frequency distributions, length-length relationships, length-weight relationship, sex ratio, Fulton's condition factor and fecundity of <em>B. lohachata </em>were studied in the present study. This is the maiden research conducted on <em>B. lohachata </em>in Bangladesh. The highest mean total lengths were 61.16±4.77 mm (combined sex), 63.80±4.79mm (female) and 58.17 ±3.30mm (male). Maximum 43.34% female fishes were belonging to the length category of 61-65 mm where as 61.41% male were belonging to 56-60 mm. Similar findings are also presented for standard length, fork length, body depth, dorsal length, pectoral length, pelvic length and anal length. Linear relationships were also studied among mentioned lengths. Strong positive correlations were observed in all cases. The highest mean body weight was weight 2.67±0.71g (October) in combined sex, this value was 3.10±0.59 in female (September) and 2.25±0.38g in male (September). Strong positive correlations were also observed between total length and body weight. Observed value of sex indicated that 54% specimens were female and remaining 46% were male. The value of chi square (x<sup>2</sup>) was 2.4 at 1 degree of freedom (p&lt;0.005) strongly indicated that the observed sex ratio not differs significantly from the expected ratio (1:1).The Fulton’s condition factors In case of combined sexes, the highest condition factor 1.156±0.126 was recorded in month of October, female highest condition factor 1.190±0.136 and male highest condition factor 1.135±0.103.</p> <p>Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(1):15-33</p> 2020-01-05T04:09:15+00:00 ##submission.copyrightStatement## Knowledge about Breast Cancer among the Nursing Students at a Teaching Institute in Dhaka City 2020-04-18T17:50:47+00:00 Negar Fouzia Umma Taj Lovely Shimul Akter Md Abdullah Yusuf Eliza Omar Eva <p><strong>Background: </strong>Breast cancer is a life threatening illness. Therefore the knowledge and awareness among the nursing students is a crucial issue.</p> <p><strong>Objective: </strong>The purpose of the present study was to assess the level of knowledge on breast cancer among graduate nursing students.</p> <p><strong>Methodology: </strong>This study was designed as descriptive type of cross sectional type study. This study was carried out in the Department of Public Health at North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh. This study was conducted from April 2017 to September 2017 for a period of six (06) months. All girls nursing student at any age who were studied in the Pallabi Nursing Institute, Mirpur, Dhaka were selected as study population. The students were voluntarily included in the study with their consent and they were neither supported nor additionally burdened financially. A structured Likert scale questionnaire was provided for collection necessary data and was incorporated items from both dependent and independent variables. Questionnaire was designed both in English for the respondents.</p> <p><strong>Result: </strong>A total number of 300 nursing students were recruited for this study. Poor knowledge was found in majority of the study population which was 285(95.0%) respondents and the rest 15(5.0%) had good knowledge.</p> <p><strong>Conclusion: </strong>In conclusion the nursing students have poor knowledge and awareness about the prevention of breast cancer</p> <p>Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(1):34-39</p> 2020-01-05T04:09:27+00:00 ##submission.copyrightStatement##