Knowledge about Breast Cancer among the Nursing Students at a Teaching Institute in Dhaka City

  • Negar Fouzia Senior Lecturer, SPKS Nursing Institute, Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Umma Taj Lovely Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Shahabuddin Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Shimul Akter Assistant Professor, Department of Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Monowara Sikder Medical College, Sharitpur, Bangladesh
  • Md Abdullah Yusuf Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology, National Institute of Neurosciences & Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Eliza Omar Eva Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Keywords: Knowledge, Breast Cancer, Nursing Students

Abstract

Background: Breast cancer is a life threatening illness. Therefore the knowledge and awareness among the nursing students is a crucial issue.

Objective: The purpose of the present study was to assess the level of knowledge on breast cancer among graduate nursing students.

Methodology: This study was designed as descriptive type of cross sectional type study. This study was carried out in the Department of Public Health at North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh. This study was conducted from April 2017 to September 2017 for a period of six (06) months. All girls nursing student at any age who were studied in the Pallabi Nursing Institute, Mirpur, Dhaka were selected as study population. The students were voluntarily included in the study with their consent and they were neither supported nor additionally burdened financially. A structured Likert scale questionnaire was provided for collection necessary data and was incorporated items from both dependent and independent variables. Questionnaire was designed both in English for the respondents.

Result: A total number of 300 nursing students were recruited for this study. Poor knowledge was found in majority of the study population which was 285(95.0%) respondents and the rest 15(5.0%) had good knowledge.

Conclusion: In conclusion the nursing students have poor knowledge and awareness about the prevention of breast cancer

Journal of Science Foundation 2019;17(1):34-39

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
179
PDF
33
Published
2020-01-05
How to Cite
Fouzia, N., Lovely, U., Akter, S., Yusuf, M. A., & Eva, E. (2020). Knowledge about Breast Cancer among the Nursing Students at a Teaching Institute in Dhaka City. Journal of Science Foundation, 17(1), 34-39. https://doi.org/10.3329/jsf.v17i1.44865
Section
Original Articles