Empty fruit bunch (EFB) gasification in an entrained flow gasification system

Authors

  • Wan Muhamad Syafiq Wan Ismail Faculty of Chemical Engineering & Natural Resources, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, 26300 Gambang, Pahang
  • Ruwaida Abdul Rasid Centre of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF), Universiti Malaysia Pahang, 26300 Gambang, Pahang

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/cerb.v19i0.33775

Keywords:

Renewable energy, Empty fruit bunch, Gasification, Entrained flow gasifier, Equivalence ratio

Abstract

Biomass has become one of the most commonly used renewable sources of energy in the last two decades. Empty fruit bunch (EFB) is one of the examples for the biomass that is used as a renewable energy source. From the palm oil processing industry, only 10% are the final products such as palm oil and palm kernel oil, while the remaining 90% are harvestable biomass waste in the form of EFB, palm kernel shell (PKS) and oil palm frond (OPF). This overload amount of biomass waste will cause an abundance of waste which will also affect the environment. To convert EFB into usable energy in ways that are more efficient, less polluting, and economical, gasification has merge as one of the most favorable technological innovations in synthesis gas (syngas) production. The main aim of this work is to study the EFB gasification in an entrained flow gasification process based on the different operating temperature (700°C to 900°C) and equivalence ratio, ER (0.2 0.4), evaluated based on the production of gases such as hydrogen (H2), carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4). It was found that as the temperature was increased from 700°C to 900°C, the production of H2 and CO2 increased while CO was decreased. The optimum ER value of 0.30 was found to attain the highest Cold Gas Efficiency (CGE) value of 74.03% at 900°C.

Chemical Engineering Research Bulletin 19(2017) 43-49

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
1415
PDF
1397

Author Biography

Wan Muhamad Syafiq Wan Ismail, Faculty of Chemical Engineering & Natural Resources, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, 26300 Gambang, Pahang



Downloads

Published

2017-09-10

How to Cite

Wan Ismail, W. M. S., & Rasid, R. A. (2017). Empty fruit bunch (EFB) gasification in an entrained flow gasification system. Chemical Engineering Research Bulletin, 19, 43–49. https://doi.org/10.3329/cerb.v19i0.33775

Issue

Section

Articles