Clinical Profile of Dengue Fever in Children

  • ABM Shahidul Alam Chief Consultant and Head, Department of Paediatrics, Central Police Hospital, Dhaka
  • S Anwar Sadat Registrar, Department of Paediatrics, Northern International Medical College, Dhaka
  • Zakaria Swapan Associate Professor, Department of Skin & VD, BSMMU, Dhaka
  • Aftab U Ahmed Assistant Professor, Department of ENT, Dhaka Medical College
  • Md Nazmul Karim Junior Consultant, Department of Skin & VD, Central Police Hospital, Dhaka
  • HK Paul Assistant Professor, Department of Skin & VD, BSMMU, Dhaka
  • Sanjana Zaman Senior Medical Officer, Central Hospital Ltd, Green Road, Dhaka
Keywords: Dengue fever (DF), dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF), paediatric

Abstract

Background: Dengue infection has become endemic in Bangladesh since it has
been broken out in June 2000. Although children are the usual victim of dengue
infection, there is paucity of published data regarding dengue infection in children in
our country.
Objectives: This study was designed to document the presenting features and outcome
of Dengue infection in children.
Materials and Methods: This cross sectional study was done among the children
having Dengue infection. Fifty four consecutive patients were enrolled. Purposive
sampling was done. In every patient a detailed history was taken. Clinical examinations
and relevant investigations were done. Data were collected in a predesigned structured
questionnaire. Data were analyzed with the help of descriptive statistics and Chisquare
(x2) Test.
Results: The mean age of the patients was 6.5±3.5 years with equal male and female
ratio. Among 54 patients, 40.7% presented with dengue fever (DF), the rest (59.3%)
presented with dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF). Most of the patients presented with
high grade continued type of fever (75.9%), followed by abdominal pain (59.3%),
vomiting (57.4%). Itchy rash and fever were the most important characteristic signs
(75.9% each). Flushed appearance observed in 68.4% and 59.3% patients showed
bleeding manifestation of which sub-conjunctival haemorrage was the commonest
form (33.3%). Leucopenia were present in only 9.3% of the patients. Platelet count
less than 100×109/L were found in 68.5% patients. Tourniquet test was positive in
31.5% of cases. All of the patients had packed cell volume (PCV) less than 45%.
Raised serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) was observed in 40.7% of children.
IgM and/or IgG antibodies for dengue virus were positive in 96.29% patients. Majority
(94%) of the patients completely recovered from the disease and only 6% died.
Conclusion: High grade continued fever, vomiting with abdominal pain and itchy skin
rash (with normal platelet count) were the presenting features. Commonest form of
bleeding manifestation was subconjunctival haemorrhage. Bleeding manifestation
had a significant association with the degree of thrombocytopenia but no corelation
was observed with tourniquet test positivity.

Key words: Dengue fever (DF); dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF); paediatric.

DOI: 10.3329/bjch.v33i2.5678

Bangladesh Journal of Child Health 2009; Vol.33(2): 55-58

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
2888
PDF
1094
How to Cite
Alam, A., Sadat, S., Swapan, Z., Ahmed, A., Karim, M., Paul, H., & Zaman, S. (1). Clinical Profile of Dengue Fever in Children. Bangladesh Journal of Child Health, 33(2), 55-58. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjch.v33i2.5678
Section
Original Articles