Already have a Username/Password for Journal of Armed Forces Medical College, Bangladesh?
Go to Login
Need a Username/Password?
Go to Registration
Registration and login are required to submit items online and to check the status of current submissions.
The Journal of Armed Forces Medical College Bangladesh agrees to accept manuscript prepared in accordance with the Uniform Requirements Submitted to the Biomedical Journals' published in the New England Journal of Medicine 1991'. 324: 424-8.
Conditions for submission of manuscript
All manuscripts are subject to peer-review.
- Manuscripts are received with the explicit under-standing that they are not under simultaneous consideration by any other publication.
- Submission of a manuscript for publication implies the transfer of the copyright from the author to the publisher upon acceptance. Accepted manuscripts become the permanent property of the Journal of Armed Forces Medical College and may not be reproduced by any means in whole or in part without the written consent of the publisher.
- It is the authors responsibility to obtain permission to reproduce illustrations, tables etc. from other publications.
- The journal publishes the identity of authors including email addresses of authors.
- Ethical aspect of the study will be very carefully considered at the time of assessment of the manuscript.
- Any manuscript that includes any table, illustration or photographs that have been published earlier should accompany a letter of permission for republication from the author(s) of the publication and editor/publisher of the Journal where it was published earlier.
- Permission of the patients and/or their families to reproduce photographs of the patients where identity is not disguised should be sent with the manuscript. Otherwise the identity will be blackened out.
Preparation of manuscript: Criteria
Information provided in the manuscript are important and likely to be of interest to an international readership.
- Manuscript should be written in English and typed on one side of A4 (290 x 210cm) size white bond paper.
- Typing font shall be Arial of 12 size. Double spacing should be used throughout.
- Margin should be 5 cm for the header and 2.5 cm for the remainder
- Style should be that of modified Vancouver
- Each of the following section should begin on separate page:
- Title page
- Tables and legends
- Pages should be numbered consecutively at the upper right hand corner of each page beginning with the title page.
The title page should contain:
- Title of the article (should be concise, informative and self-explanatory)
- Name of each author with highest academic degree
- Institutional affiliation of each author
- Name of the department and institute where the work was carried out
- Name and address of the author to whom correspondence regarding manuscript to be made and email address
Structured abstracts are preferred for original research and systematic reviews. The abstract should provide the following under separate headings:
- Introduction in brief.
- Aim/Objective of the study/review: context or
- background for the study and should state the study's
- Basic procedures: selection of study subjects or
- laboratory animals, observational and analytical
- Main findings/Results: giving specific effect sizes
- and their statistical significance, if possible and
- funding sources.
- Principal conclusions
- Key words: appropriate and short.
aspects of the study. Preferably shall be limited to less than 250
words and shall contain only approved abbreviations
The introduction will acquaint the readers with the problem and it should include:
- Nature and purpose of the study
- Rationale of the study/observation
- Strictly pertinent references
- Brief review of the subject excepting data and conclusion
Materials and method
This section of the study should be very clear and describe:
- The selection criteria of the study population including controls (if any)
- The methods and the apparatus used in the research
- The procedure of the study in such a detail so that other worker can reproduce the results
- Previously published methods (if applicable) with appropriate citations
The findings of the research study should be described here and it should be:
- Presented in logical sequence in the text, tables and illustrations.
- Described without comment.
- Supplemented by concise textual description of the data presented in the tables, charts and figures where it is necessary.
During preparation of tables following principles should be followed:
- Tables should be simple, self-explanatory and should supplement, not duplicate the text.
- Each table should have a title and typed in double space in separate sheet.
- They should be numbered consecutively with roman numerical in order of text. Page number should be in the upper right corner.
- If abbreviations are to be used, they should be explained in footnotes.
Only those illustrations that clarify and increase understanding of the text should be used and:
- All illustrations must be numbered and cited in the text.
- Print photograph of each illustration should be submitted.
- Figure number, title of manuscript, name of corresponding author and arrow indicating the top should be typed on a sticky label and affixed on the back of each illustration.
- Original drawings, graphs, charts and lettering should be prepared on an illustration board or high-grade white drawing paper by an experienced medical illustrator.
The figures and photographs
- Should be used only where data can not be expressed in any other form
- Should be unmounted, glossy print in sharp focus, 12.7 x 17.3 cms in size.
- Should bear number, title of manuscript, name of corresponding author and arrow indicating the top on a sticky label and affixed on the back of each illustration.
- Must be typed in a separate sheet of paper.
- Photomicrographs should indicate the magnification, internal scale and the method of staining.
- All scientific units should be expressed in System International (SI) units.
- All drugs should be mentioned in their generic form. The commercial name may however be used within brackets.
The discussion section should reflect:
- The authors' own comment on the results and to relate them to those of other authors.
- The relevance to experimental research or clinical practice.
- Well founded arguments.
- New and important aspects of the study and conclusion that follow from them.
- Avoidance of repetition of detail data or other material given in the introduction or result section.
References are to be numbered consecutively in the order in which they appear in the text.
References from journals
References should be written according to the following sequence: e.g. authors(s) name, subject, name of journal with Years of publication, volume number, page number. If there are six authors or less, names of all the authors should be written, when there are seven authors or more the first three names will be listed and then word "et al" to be added. Name of journals may be abbreviated; but that must be according to style used in Idex Medicus.
Standard journal article
Ashour MN, Salem SI, el-Gadban HM,Elwan NM, Basu TK. Antioxidant status in children with protein energy malnutrition. Eur J Clin Nutr 1999 Aug; 53(8):669-673.
Chapman AE,Geerdes B, Hewett P, et al. Systemic review of dynamic graciloplasty in the treatment of faecal incontinence. British Journal of Surgery 2002 February;89(2):138-53.
Organization as author
The TIME Investigator. Trial of invasive versus medical therapy in elderly patients with chronic symptomatic coronary artery diseases (TIME): a randomized trial. The Lancet 2001;358(9286):951-7.
No author given
Preparing for weapons of mass destruction [editorial]. The Lancet 2003January; 361 (9352):95.
No issue and no volume
BrowellDA, Lennard TW. Immunologic status of the cancer patient and the effects of blood transfusion on antitunour responses. Curr Opin Gen Surg 1993:325-33.
Journal article on the Internet
Abood S. Quality improvement initiative in nursing homes: the ANA acts in an advisory role. Am J Nurs [Internet]. 2002 Jun [cited 2002 Aug 12];102(6):[about 1 p.]. Available from: http://www.nursingworld.org/AJN/2002/june/Wawatch.h tmArticle
References from books and monograph
Junqueira LC, Carneiro J. Basic histology text and atlas. 10th ed. London : McGraw-Hill; 2003.p. 24-9.
Editor (s) as author
Basmajian JV, Slonecker CE, editors. Grant's method of anatomy. A clinical problem-solving approach. 11th ed. New Delhi : BI Waverly Pvt Ltd; 1997.p.180-3.
Organization as author and publisher World Health Organization. Revised 1990 estimates of maternal mortality - a new approach by WHO and UNICEF. Geneva: World Health Organization;2003:132-51.
Chapter in a book
Collins P. Embryology and development. In: Williams PL, Bannister LH, Berry MM, Collins P, Dyson M, Dussek JE, Ferguson MWJ, editors. Gray's anatomy the anatomical basis of medicine and surgery. 38th ed. Great Britain : Churchill Livingstone; 1995.p. 92-341.
Huq MM, Barman A, Majumder MAA, Mashreky SMSR, editors. Training health professionals through unity of education and practice for quality health care. Proceedings of 3rd National Conference on Medical Education of National Association for Medical Education (NAME) 2000 February 19- 20. Bangladesh : Dhaka;2000.
Ahmed NU. Palliative care in Bangladesh. In : Kabir MJ, Habib A, Khan SR, editors. Safe anaesthesia for all. Proceeding of 24th annual conference of Bangladesh Society of Anaesthesiologists; 2007 April 29 : Dhaka; 2007.p.11.
Reference from dissertation or thesis
Habib A. Effect of indomethacin on stomach and small intestine and its prevention by cimetidine in rat (Thesis). Dhaka: Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research (IPGM&R); 1992: 20-30.
Reference from article of magazines / newspaper article
Guterl F. An AIDS drug-price war. Newsweek 2001 February 19 : 45 (col 1-3).
Individuals, organizations or bodies may be acknowledged in the article and may include:
- Name (or a list) of funding bodies.
- Name of the organization(s) and individual(s) with their consent.
Manuscript should be submitted to the Executive Editor and must be accompanied by a covering letter and following inclusions:
- A statement regarding the type of article being submitted.
- A statement that the work has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
- A statement of financial or other relationships that might lead to a conflict of interests.
- A statement that the manuscript has been read approved and signed by all authors.
- A statement of financial or other relationships that might lead to a conflict of interests.
- A letter from the head of the institution where the work has been carried out stating that the work has been carried out in that institute and there is no objection to its publication in this journal
- If the article is a whole or part of the dissertation or thesis submitted for diploma/degree, it should be mentioned in detail and in this case the name of the investigator and guide must be specifically mentioned.
- The authors have followed the official secret act.
Submissions must be in triplicates with three sets of illustrations. Text must be additionally submitted in a CD.
Online submission shall only be accepted for author submitting paper from outside of Bangladesh. Papers should be prepared following instructions mentioned and shall be submitted to address of the journal as Microsoft word attached file. The email shall include letter mentioning that the work has been carried out in an institute that has no objection to its publication in this journal and that the work has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
Editing and peer review
All submitted manuscripts are subjected to scrutiny by the Editor in Chief/Executive Editor and any other member of the Editorial Board. Manuscripts containing materials without sufficient scientific value and/or a priority issue, or not fulfilling the requirement for publication may be rejected or it may be sent back to the author(s) for resubmission with necessary modifications to suit one of the submission categories. Manuscripts fulfilling the requirements and found suitable for consideration are sent for peer review by the subject editors. Submissions found suitable for publication by the reviewer, may need revision/ modifications before being finally accepted.
Editorial Board finally seats together and decides upon the publishability of the reviewed and revised/modified submission. Proof of accepted manuscript may be sent to the authors, and should be corrected and returned to the editorial office within one week. No addition to the manuscript at this stage will be accepted. All accepted manuscripts are edited according to the Journal's style.
Reprints for the author(s)
Three copies of each published article will be provided to the corresponding author free of cost. Additional reprints may be obtained by prior request and only on necessary payment.
Journal of Armed Forces Medical College, Bangladesh Published by the Editor-in-Chief biannually in January and June.
Local BDT = 250.00
Overseas US $ = 25.00
Subscription request should be sent to:
Journal of Armed Forces Medical College,
Any change in address of the subscriber should be notified at least 6-8 weeks before the subsequent issue is published mentioning both old and new addresses. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Communication for manuscript submission
Communication information for all correspondence is always printed in the title page of the journal. Any additional information or any other inquiry relating to submission of the article, the Executive Editor or the Journal office may be contacted.
The journal is available on line at www.banglajol.info/index.php/jafmc. Interested authors can contact and foreign authors can submit articles by email.
Official email address is email@example.com.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Journal of Armed Forces Medical College, Bangladesh ISSN 1992-5743
Contact journal editor